cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Daniel Fagerstrom <>
Subject Re: How to register MockProcessInfoProvider?
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:32:21 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> "A lot of incompatibilities" is an exaggeration. If we just let or
>> Request, Response, Session and Cookie extend the corresponding http
>> servlet ones, we would just get a few minor incompatibilities that IMO
>> would be rather minor in comparison with the benefits of using a
>> standardized API.
> :) exaggeration is better than downplaying (not implying that you're
> doing this here). With "a lot of" I meant for the users. I know a lot of
> code where a request.getSession() is called and stored in a variable of
> type o.a.c.e.Session. If we change the signature of this, well all these
> places have to be changed.
> But as you outlined, it is not that hard to do the changes.

It is of course a trade of, but I think we gaining much more than we lose.

> Doesn't
> eclipse have this out-refactoring feature (or whatever it is called)?
> Where you add a refactoring description to a new jar and through this
> description the client code is automatically refactored?

No idea, sounds great though.

>> So to summarize, it would be a great benefit to let our environment
>> abstractions extend the http servlet ones and the cost would be low. So
>> it is time to do it.
> I still think we should release before those changes.

I think we should consider the time plan for these changes and for the 
release orthogonal.

Grek has to respect GSoC project deadlines, so we cannot just ask him to 
wait. OTH, he or others cannot do major changes close to releases. If we 
have a clear release plan with fixed release dates, this shouldn't be to 
much of a problem. We'll have a code freeze a week before a release. If 
Grek doesn't think that his ongoing piece of work will be finished 
before the code freeze, he has to work in a branch. Also work during the 
freeze will need to be in a branch. Then he can merge again after the 

This will of course be a little bit inconvenient. But much better than 
waiting until after the release.


View raw message