cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clarification on converter concept
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:06:17 GMT
Joerg Heinicke pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakowski <at> apache.org> writes:
>
>> I mentioned that snippet as an example how registry could work; my aim was to
>> show that we use declarative approach instead of registering converters/
>> property editors manually.
>
> Ah, got it. :-) Though the names are a bit irritating. Aren't the
> ExpressionCompilers actually the factories and isn't the ExpressionFactory more
> of a registry? It's also a bit strange that the Expressions must be aware of the
> prefix they are mapped to (Expression.getLanguage() + constructors of
> implementations). Any reason for that?

Good point about names. I'll consider to rename this classes since I don't consider them as
any public API (it was used in template block
only to date).

When it comes to prefix and getLanguage() method, I don't know really. Eclipse tells me that
this method is not us anywhere in Cocoon so I
think it redundant. Before removing it I'll try to search archives. This stuff is really work
in progress and comes as legacy so I don't
know answers for all questions...

> Something similar exists for the PropertyEditors, the PropertyEditorRegistrar
> [1]. You are only supposed to implement it yourself which more or less means to
> add the PropertyEditors programmatically. Since I did not want to do this, I
> wrote a MapBasedPropertyEditorRegistrar (matching more or less
> DefaultExpressionFactory) which I could at least configure from Spring.
> spring-configurator's BeanMap seems to go one step further and searches for all
> implementations of a particular interface in the application context.

How your MapBasedPropertyEditorRegistrar knows path at which particular editor should be registered?

Spring configurator stuff is really handy and has no Cocoon dependencies so its wise to use
it. Joerg, you seem to sit inside Spring
community, have you considered giving Carsten a present by promoting his stuff? I really think
it should get more attention. :-)

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski