cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <>
Subject Re: JSP integration
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:58:31 GMT
Joerg Heinicke pisze:
> On 12.07.2007 05:31, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> How is that supposed to work with JSPs where Jasper (when using Tomcat) needs to
> kick in and compile the JSPs? From what I understand other servlets need to be
> registered in Cocoon (or the underlying Spring container). Doesn't that make it
> a servlet container in a servlet container? This approach still seems to suffer
> from the "almighty Cocoon" syndrome (doing everything itself, not delegating
> stuff to e.g. the servlet container).

Your impression seems to be right. However, I believe that one of main goals while designing
cocoon-servlet-service was to stay as
transparent as possible. I guess that if we let servlet container to manage servlets we wouldn't
get enough flexibility we need but it would
be better if Daniel could comment as a creator of whole stuff.

I really have no experience with JSP and I don't know how its servlet is initialized and how
it works. If you could explain what could be a
possible problem I would try to answer according to my knowledge.

As a side-note: If particular servlet must be managed by servlet container can't we create
servlet (as a Spring bean) that would forward all
requests to the JSP servlet using request dispatcher:

Grzegorz Kossakowski

View raw message