cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSP integration
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:31:51 GMT
Joerg Heinicke pisze:
> On 02.07.2007 20:19, Andrew Stevens wrote:
>
>> And then inspiration hit - why not instead create a new input Source
>> for JSPs?
>>
>> And then I started to over-think it :-)  Why only JSPs?  Why not
>> servlets too?  How does this differ from the context: source type?
>> Surely someone must have thought of doing this before - is there no
>> similar facility already?  What about in Cocoon 2.2 - would the
>> servlet/blocks framework that keeps getting discussed cater for this
>> anyway? At which point I figured the best thing to do was to dump my
>> thoughts to the list and see if anyone had any feedback or
>> suggestions...
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> your ideas sound absolutely reasonable. I appreciate every improvement
> to the integration of JSP or servlets in general though I don't use it
> myself (yet). In 2.1 I would really opt for a new source. I only wonder
> if this is necessary at all in 2.2. I got the impression (just from
> mailing list) it should be quite easy to integrate Cocoon with other
> servlets but somebody with actual knowledge might add more details here.
> What I for example would really like to have is a CocoonView for
> Spring's ViewRendererServlet or use Cocoon as replacement for the
> ViewRendererServlet.

Yep, you are right Joerg and Andrew, servlet-service-fw is the way to go.

Basically, you need to register JSP servlet as Spring bean, then you can connect to it from
other servlet (Cocoon block) using its bean's Id
and use servlet:/ source for this. Take a look at:
[1] for servlet configuration as spring bean
[2] for demo servlet itself

All needed functionality is already there and working, it's a matter of providing sample and
(really preferably) some documentation how to
utilize servlet-service-fw functionality to integrate with JSP.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-servlet-service/cocoon-servlet-service-sample/src/main/resources/META-INF/cocoon/spring/cocoon-servlet-service-demo1-servletService.xml?view=markup
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-servlet-service/cocoon-servlet-service-sample/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/servletservice/demo1/DemoServlet.java?view=markup

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski