cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Clarification on converter concept
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 19:47:53 GMT
Hello,

I'm glad to see that we agreed on design of OM, now I would like to focus on converter concept.
First of all, I would like to know which form should be preferred: "converter" or "convertor".
Since both are valid (according to
dictionary.com) I'm not really sure which one I should pick.

Now I must admit that I'm not sure if I understand converter concept. Let me explain my current
understanding.
Basically, converter for certain type is a class that performs conversion between that type
and its string representation. The converter is
locale-aware so string produced by converter may depend on user's locale (e.g. Date representation).
It is perfectly valid to have more than
one converter for particular type, each one identified by unique, short identifier. Thanks
to converter concept following syntax:

{jxpath:cocoon/request/parameters/date}#shortDate

will be used to tell Cocoon that user expects 'date' request parameter to be formatted as
short date (whatever it means).

For each type it is possible to define default converter and it is assumed that Cocoon ships
with set of default converters for primitive,
common types.

Is the description above exhaust the converter concept?

Thanks for your opinions.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski