cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cocoon 2.2 - some more questions
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:31:38 GMT
xweber pisze:
> well i am thinking of a portal. So there will be a core block (to manage the
> main sitemap), one or more skin blocks for final layout, some lib-blocks for
> extending the core with e.g. database, mail and that kind of functionality.
> And modules like blocks for features to the portal (the ones who will
> provide the content). That as a generic portal (combination). Now you want
> to have a concrete portal with that parts. Instead of modifying settings in
> core (and database) for the concrete informations, and what modules to use
> (maybe you do not want to have the module-tictactoe in your portal) all you
> need to do is not to set the dependency to that module in the "webapp"
> pom.xml. So that is the kind of configurations-block i had in mind.

I see. I think you have described the use case for C2.2 architecture. It's basically what
blocks has been designed for (but not only for
such situations). Most of the infrastructure is already there (especially configuration, building
and packaging parts). The only part still
under development is wiring (servlet-service-fw). With blocks polymorphism (see COCOON-2038
issue) and postable source (see COCOON-2046) you
will get all needed tools to handle even more sophisticated set-ups.

I plan to write docs for servlet-service-fw tomorrow and explain the big picture so everyone
will know what incredible functionality it
already offers (or will offer soon) and what help is needed. The plan may change a little
because my top priority is GSoC-related development.

If you have concrete question (how to achieve x) feel free to ask, I'll be happy to answer
them only if I can help.

> I know there is a portal in Cocoon 2.1 and there will be one in 2.2 (at
> least i think so). Maybe that approach i have in mind is a bit more spring
> like to set the parts together. I dont even know if it possible.

I must admit I have not that my experience with portal functionality, either. I hope that
others can join and comment on its status in
Cocoon 2.2.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski