cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Versioning XML Schemas
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:37:15 GMT
On 01.07.2007 15:46, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> I would like to add some more documentation to
> cocoon-configurator-1.0.1.xsd[1] but I'm not sure what is our policy for
> versioning XML schemas. AFAIK, 1.0.1 version has not been released yet
> so I can modify it freely, right? When it will be officially released?
> When cocoon-spring-configurator is released?

Yes, I think it should be released with the block it contains it. I
don't know if its versioning needs to follow its containing block
though. Not every release of the block makes changes in the schema
necessary. Despite steps in the versioning it will probably be easier
though to follow the block's versioning.

> What is more confusing we already have schema published at [2] without
> any mark that this is a snapshot version that is likely to be changed.

IMO that's no problem. See below ...

> Do we have any policy on versioning xml schemas? Shouldn't we have a
> cocoon-configurator-1.0.1-SNAPSHOT.xsd published and rename it just
> before we release cocoon-spring-cofigurator? This way we would always
> know when the version is locked down.

I'm against the SNAPSHOT suffix. A DTD or schema should never be
retrieved from remote, but always from a local version (via xml
catalogue or whatever). For somebody doing the latter it should be
obvious whether it's released or not since he works with the released or
the snapshot block. IMO it's just too much work to change all the
references from the snapshot version to the release version if they
differ in name.

Spring handles it the same way [1]. They did not even increase the
version number on changes [2]. Important is probably the backwards
compatibility. In that particular case: An XML written against Spring
2.0.2's AOP schema works in 2.0.3 as well despite the additional
attribute. No idea yet when it is better to force the user to update his