cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <alexander.klimetsc...@mindquarry.com>
Subject Re: Interblock communication
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:31:29 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom schrieb:
> A third possibility would be to make your "data" available as REST-style
> web services. Then the "view blocks" can access the data through servlet
> service protocol calls.

This is a great idea we want to implement in Mindquarry for quite some time
(but other things need more attention...). Our sitemaps have grown quite
large and it's hard to keep the bird's eye view. So our idea is to split up
our sitemaps (we already have different sitemaps for each functional block
of our application) each into a data sitemap and a presentation sitemap.

The data sitemap contains all the basic XML, Forms, flowscript processing,
data fetching/storing etc. It provides a REST interface with XML content.

Then you put the presentation sitemap on top of it - it effectively contains
various pipelines that transform the XML data into HTML or PDF for example.

The connection is done by the servlet protocol - so it's easily possible to
let other HTTP/REST based-clients access the data sitemap directly - this
gives you a very good API at no cost, because you have already designed it
for you presentation layer and can simply reuse it by publishing it. It's
also a classical separation of concerns.

Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
http://www.mindquarry.com