cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Hunsberger" <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: trunk broken?
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:54:47 GMT
On 6/26/07, Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@gmx.de> wrote:

> >> Daniel, I don't think it makes any sense to discuss this anymore. We
> >> rate the costs of losing actual users and "stay behind the rest of the
> >> world" differently. Let's get 2.2 out of the door ...
> >
> > Joerg, I think it's a legitimate question.
>
> Which serious one that has not been discussed extensively?
>
> Cocoon is not the only community/project still supporting Java 1.4.
> This actually answers both arguments.
>
> In more detail:
> 1. I'd be glad if we were ahead of Spring - which drops 1.3 support only
> in the upcoming 2.1 release. And the OSGi projects ... Equinox 1.3 (Oct
> 2006), Knopflerfish 1.2.2, Felix 1.4 ... I get the feeling the success
> of a community/project is not determined by its minimum JDK requirement.
> 2. Yes, how do all the other projects do this? How for example does the
> Maven community/project ensure that they are compatible with JDK 1.4?

Joerg,
what other projects do is mostly (if not completely) irrelevant to
what we do.  The questions for our community are twofold:

1) does retaining  Java 1.4 compatibility cost us anything?

2) does making Java 1.5 the minimum supported JDK cost us anything?

We know there are things we can't do because if 1.4 is the required
base.  We have absolutely no _real evidence_ that anyone actually
requires Java 1.4 compatibility for the 2.2 code base, just a couple
people saying "yeah we can't move to Java 1.5" but those same people
have never stated they have a solid requirement to move to Cocoon 2.2
that can't be met by staying on Cocoon 2.1.

--
Peter Hunsberger