cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stevens <at...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: trunk broken?
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 23:57:32 GMT

> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 22:37:02 +0200
> From: danielf@nada.kth.se
>
> Antonio Gallardo skrev:
> > Grzegorz Kossakowski escribió:

> >> Yes, even though it seems that only few souls living in solitude use
> >> Java 1.4 these days...
> > Not my case, I am already on 1.6. ;)
> >
> > I asked due the contract with our user base. Perhaps it is time to
> > reconsider this issue before the 2.2 release.
>
> For those not remembering, we are waiting for Joerg to retract his veto
> against switching to Java 1.5.
>
> In the meantime the benefit of supporting Java 1.4 decreases each day
> while the cost of doing so increases ...
>
> /Daniel

Well, for what it's worth (which isn't much) I for one am glad Cocoon 2.2 still supports JDK
1.4.  It's finally looking like our US datacentre is getting their act together so my team
can plan to migrate our sites off Websphere 5.0 (JDK 1.3, and end-of-life'd about 9 months
ago!) onto a more recent version.  However, the new version that they are willing to support
is 6.0, which uses... JDK 1.4

We're already being pressured to ditch Cocoon in favour of a proprietary in-house framework
(which would be a shame IMO as Cocoon is a much better fit with our XML-based content management
system).  Without 1.4 support, Cocoon becomes a dead end for us with no upgrade path, which
would make it harder to justify continuing with it.

I guess that makes us the few souls living in solitude :-)

Andrew.
--
http://pseudoq.sourceforge.net/  Open source java Sudoku