cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Random thoughts on object model
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:09:10 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom pisze:
> I agree with all of them. More details on implementation can be
> discussed only if I start to implement something. I think I'll be able
> to start hacking just now.
>
> I wonder how to organize my work that I would be able to commit
> regularly and trunk will not be broken by untested changes.

Personally I have avoided branches as I have seen many examples of other
people wasting time in branches that they never where able to resynchronize.

OTH, branches seemed to work for you while introducing servlet services
in the samples.

I think branches can be good for some more adventurous or experimental
refactorings. But I would suggest that you try to keep their life as
short as possible, days rather than weeks or months.

Try to do as much as possible in trunk as it will be hard for other
people to collaborate with you otherwise.

The reasons that makes one wanting to create a branch are often exactly
the same that makes it hard to merge later ;) A simpler design and
smaller steps are often more successful.

 > Do you think
 > that branching a whole trunk into whiteboard is a good idea? I want to
 > branch whole trunk because I presume that I'll have to touch a lot of
 > modules during whole GSoC.

Don't presume, branch what is actually needed, nothing more.

 > Of course I would synchronize branch and trunk as regularly as possible.

Yes.

Maybe other people have different or more positive experience of branching?

In the end, use your judgement and do what you think is best.

/Daniel