cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Interblock communication
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:11:25 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Letting all blocks share the same global session would lead to code
> that would be hard to debug and reuse, so that would not be such a
> good idea. We could think about having a local session for each
> servlet service, but that is not implemented yet.
>
> What you currently do is that you have a "main" servlet service that
> contain session handling etc and that calls other servlet services
> that does there work without sessions. For me that is enough, but if
> other people have use cases that require more, we can find some way to
> extend it.
>
> /Daniel
Thanks for this info. This does raise concern although perhaps it is
misplaced. I am working on a project that heavily uses portlets. The
current portlet spec makes it difficult to share session attributes
across the web application. The downside is that it leads to all kinds
of kludges and performance problems. For example, you would like to call
a single business service and have its data available to multiple
portlets as each might simply provide different views of the data.  I
could easily see the same sort of requirement with blocks.

In general, the isolation is probably the correct approach, but only if
there is a way to explicitly declare that certain objects should be shared.

Ralph