cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Interblock communication
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:52:13 GMT
Ralph Goers skrev:
> Can someone please describe how this is all supposed to work? (Hopefully
> with as few words as possible)

It is intended to be a plugin based service oriented architecture.

In a little bit more detail: Each block (plugin) can provide servlet
services, that other servlet services can use.

In Stefano's original vision he wanted the blocks to be rather isolated.
We tried to achieve that by using OSGi, but it was a little bit early
back then and to much work, so it seemed better to have less isolation
and get something that people can use faster. So in the current
architecture all blocks share classloader and Spring container.

For the servlet services I thought it was better to start simplistic
with a high degree of isolation and add communication based on peoples
use cases.

> Also, it seems silly to me to ask why a web app would need a session -
> or maybe I misread your answer?  Frankly, I don't think it would be
> possible for the portal block to function without a session. Heck, don't
> continuations require one too?

Letting all blocks share the same global session would lead to code that
would be hard to debug and reuse, so that would not be such a good idea.
We could think about having a local session for each servlet service,
but that is not implemented yet.

What you currently do is that you have a "main" servlet service that
contain session handling etc and that calls other servlet services that
does there work without sessions. For me that is enough, but if other
people have use cases that require more, we can find some way to extend it.

/Daniel