cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interblock communication
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:08:46 GMT
Hi Ralph,

Ralph Goers pisze:
> I guess now I know why so few people are working on 2.2
> a) it is pretty crazy to answer a question like the one asked by
> pointing them to a thread with dozens of posts on several parallel threads.

Yes, that thread is *big* but I guess it's only place where some aspects where discussed.

> b) I actually tried reading most of the posts and to be honest I
> understood very little of it. Trying to "grasp the basic idea" by
> reading it just left me more conused. I suspect I am not alone.

If you have not been following recent development of servlet-service-fw it's very likely that
you are confused. My time is limited these
days so
could you direct me at things/concepts that confuse you the most? I would not like to explain
what you already know.

> Can someone please describe how this is all supposed to work? (Hopefully
> with as few words as possible)

I hope to do it this evening.

> Also, it seems silly to me to ask why a web app would need a session -
> or maybe I misread your answer?  Frankly, I don't think it would be
> possible for the portal block to function without a session. Heck, don't
> continuations require one too?

Yes, there are cases where passing session is required but as far as I understand servlet-service-fw
design principles we should strive to
build stateless services. I'm not sure how far we can reach with such a principle but I can
imagine that even you need/want a session for
some reason you can always extract needed data from the that session and pass the called servlet
everything it needs as parameters or XML if
you call servlet service. Isn't it at a peace with so fashionable REST architecture? It's
just a wild thinking...

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski