cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interblock communication
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:24:26 GMT
Rice Yeh pisze:
> I hope I can do this if I can really understand the present design of
> servlet-service.

Yeah, documentation is lacking... That's on the top of my priority list, I'll take care after
passing all exams at
University. The exams' session ends at 26th of June.

> First off, I do not understand why a newly created
> request is needed. Why not just pass the original one?

Because every servlet call must be new request, containing new (local) URL that you can match
in the matcher. I think we
wanted to start from scratch (not passing anything) to keep everything simple and separated.
It's obvious that we have
to forward some of original request's attributes. Here I use general meaning of "attribute"
word, so request's attribute
is a parameter, header, etc. The tricky part is to demarcate boundaries because we relly strive
to keep servlet as
separated as possible.

> When looking for
> the current BlockCallHttpServletRequest implementation, it even creates
> a new HttpSession when method getSession() is called. What is the basic
> idea in designing servlet-serivce in this way?

Why do you need a session in called servlet? Is it really indispensable? I guess you should
grasp basic idea by reading
above explanation.

If you want really detailed view take a look at this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/73088

I know, it's terribly long discussion but there is a lot of knowledge and you can always skip
some branches.

If you have more questions don't hestitate to ask.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski