cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: trunk broken?
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 07:08:27 GMT

Andrew Stevens wrote:
>> For those not remembering, we are waiting for Joerg to retract his veto
>> against switching to Java 1.5.
>>
>> In the meantime the benefit of supporting Java 1.4 decreases each day
>> while the cost of doing so increases ...
>>
>> /Daniel
>>

> Well, for what it's worth (which isn't much) I for one am glad Cocoon 2.2 still supports
JDK 1.4.  It's finally looking like our US datacentre is getting their act together so my
team can plan to migrate our sites off Websphere 5.0 (JDK 1.3, and end-of-life'd about 9 months
ago!) onto a more recent version.  However, the new version that they are willing to support
is 6.0, which uses... JDK 1.4

Big mistake. The performance improvements between 1.4 and java 5 are
pretty significant. java 6 is even better. Our Cocoon has been running
in production on 1.4 for quite some time and we are planning to upgrade
just for that reason.
> We're already being pressured to ditch Cocoon in favour of a proprietary in-house framework
(which would be a shame IMO as Cocoon is a much better fit with our XML-based content management
system).  Without 1.4 support, Cocoon becomes a dead end for us with no upgrade path, which
would make it harder to justify continuing with it.

Hmm. My guess is that in your environment you won't be upgrading to 2.2
anytime soon anyway?  The biggest negative I continue to face isn't
Cocoon itself, but the lack of any professional support here in the U.S.