cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Discussion about Maven
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:38:54 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
>> I wanted to know what are our rules. Do we:
>> - want to have such a internal releases
>
> I'd avoid using word "release" for this as it has some legal
> implications and we would get chewed up for using it :)

Ah, I'm young committer so forgive me that I omit legal implications and use inappropriate
words. I'm really hard working to improve my
English. :-)
I agree it should not be called release.

> Yes I think you can do such builds and place them on your private space
> at people.apache.org or on cocoon zones, and call it "nightly" or
> "build" or some such, but not a "milestone *release*".
>
> And it is a good idea to do such builds as long as it helps to further
> development of Cocoon.

+1

> IMHO, for milestone *release*, I'd bundle all necessary unreleased
> dependencies and upload to www.apache.org/dist. I'm not sure if there
> are any legal gotchas with this approach, but it worked for us in the
> past, for 2.1 milestones.

It will not work with Maven and it can't be called "release" I think. My personal opinion
is that release (after changing wording) should be
something that we can officially ship using our infrastructure. Part of our infrastructure
is Maven now but in order to upload to its
central server we can't have snapshot dependencies as pointed out earlier.
The only solution I can think of is that we stay longer in "nighly build" mode and we can
switch to milestone mode as soon as all of our
dependencies are released ones.
I think that it will work well only if we successfully "push" projects we depend on to follow
"release early, release often" practice so we
will not bed forced to stay in "nighly build" phase too long.

I'm not so much experienced with Open Source to have a strong opinion on this. Do you think
that we effectively "push" other project?

> -1. I'd prefer to have a (semi) regular milestone releases, even if it
> is harder to do with Maven...

I don't think it's harder with Maven. Maven was important factor when it comes to ability
to have independent release cycles. We just need
to clearly define terms (like release) we use and get used to the thought that we should tend
to depend on released versions and talk more
with other projects about releasing their goodies.

WDYT?

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski