cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Discussion about Maven
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 16:44:21 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
>> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>>> On the other hand, milestones are just our internal releases and I
>>> think we can live with these gaps.
>>
>> No, they are not internal:
>>   http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/changes.html
>>   http://archive.apache.org/dist/cocoon/SOURCES/
>>   http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon-core/2.2.0-M3/
>
> Examples you provided do not apply to the situation I want to discuss.
> In 2.1 times we were shipping all dependencies ourselves so there is no
> problem of dependency resolution.

I hope it is still an option.

> I was talking about the situation when we want to release some early
> alpha that has _snapshot_ dependencies that (obviously) are _not_
> available at central server. If we want to make such a release it has to
> be "internal" because we cannot ship it or upload at central.

Ok, I understand.

> I wanted to know what are our rules. Do we:
> - want to have such a internal releases

I'd avoid using word "release" for this as it has some legal implications and we
would get chewed up for using it :)

Yes I think you can do such builds and place them on your private space at
people.apache.org or on cocoon zones, and call it "nightly" or "build" or some
such, but not a "milestone *release*".

And it is a good idea to do such builds as long as it helps to further
development of Cocoon.

> OR
> - we really think that world is perfect and we'll always depend on
> released artifacts even in early stages of development

IMHO, for milestone *release*, I'd bundle all necessary unreleased dependencies
and upload to www.apache.org/dist. I'm not sure if there are any legal gotchas
with this approach, but it worked for us in the past, for 2.1 milestones.

> OR
> - we do not make any early (alpha) releases at all (what about release
> early, release often, then?)

-1. I'd prefer to have a (semi) regular milestone releases, even if it is harder
to do with Maven...

Vadim