cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Discussion about Maven
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:04:49 GMT
Reinhard Poetz pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Even though I agree that it's the best to release all of our
>> dependencies I would like to know your opinion on how to handle cases
>> when not all our dependencies are on central server. I'm going to play
>> with profiles.xml file and see how it performs for us. I would like to
>> no if anyone is going to have a better/other idea.
>
> We have to distinguish between two scenarios:
>
>  1. building your own application using Cocoon artifacts
>  2. building Cocoon from SVN
>
> ad 1): It was my mistake that I released a POM with dependencies that
> are not available on the central Maven repository. As soon as
> commons-jci is available, there is no need for it anymore.

+1

> ad 2): It's only some blocks (e.g. some portal stuff) that depend on
> dependencies outside. As long as they don't get released, that's not a
> problem.

Not completely true. Do we take into consideration the case that we depend on snapshots/milestones
uploaded somewhere (let it be our or
other's staging repos) and make our own milestone early release? I want to say that due to
COCOO-1745 (aka MNG-2743) we could suffer from
unsatisfied dependencies because repository declaration is not handled correctly.

> Note that the root POM doesn't have any dependency on any other
> repository than the central Maven repository anymore.

I'm glad to hear that. Putting profiles.xml file at root dir does not tie our root pom to
it. It's only a configuration file for Maven
needed only for devs and folks interested in building Cocoon.

> Things might be different with Maven 2.1 but I suggest that we solve
> this problem when Maven 2.1 is generally available.

I won't insist on this change, we have more important goals but don't tell me in the future
that I hadn't warned you. ;-)

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski