cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <alexander.klimetsc...@mindquarry.com>
Subject Re: More problems with implementing servlet services
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 12:41:44 GMT
Reinhard Poetz schrieb:
> I think the problem here is that we have two sources and depending on
> the context, one is the "main" source. But if it's only me having this
> view on that, I won't argue for it any more.
>
> Any other opinions?

I tend to Reinhard's opinion: from the user POV the src should state the
service, because that is where I get my data from, ie. the data that is used
in the subsequent pipeline.

The important point is how this compares with a simple servlet call, where I
don't want to POST anything but simply retrieve data:

<generate src="servlet:something:/foo/bar" />

In this case you state the servlet as source. And this guides the user's
model when adding the POST-feature; thus it is more natural to think of the
POST as an addition, simply by using another generator and an additional
parameter (I'd name it "postData" to be more concise):

<generate type="servletService" src="servlet:something:/foo/bar">
   <parameter name="postData" src="test.htm" />
</generate>

Only that seems logic to me...

Another question: did you think of the possibility of posting the initial
HTTP request body to the servlet service? Eg. having a postData (or src)
parameter like

   <parameter name="postData" src="request:body" />

???? A use case would be upon a PUT of some XML data from a client to a
server and as a first step you wanna send the XML to a validating service.

Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
http://www.mindquarry.com