cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: More problems with implementing servlet services
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:51:03 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke pisze:
>> On 19.05.2007 14:28, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>>
>> One more reason to always put the service URL into the src attribute
>> as you don't need to discuss and differentiate between GET and POST.

+1

> Yes I have to explain meaning of the "postData" parameter and its use.
> Really, POST and GET are conceptually different beasts and I believe we
> should not try to hide this differences anyhow.

I don't buy it. What about PUT? DELETE? TRACE? OPTIONS? HEAD? Is every method
going to get its own syntax and its own generator type? GetGenerator,
PostGenerator, DeleteGenerator? It does not make any sense to me. Request is a
request is a request. Request method is just one single piece of information in
the request and it is not making conceptual difference. Ideally all request
method should be treated equally. In the case of this service generator, it just
means it should take parameter specifying what request method to use... what
headers to set... what data to include in the body (notice how I avoided the
word 'post' here - cause it could be 'put', or any other method)... But the src
attribute of generator is url of the service - everything else is an optional
parameter: request method defaults to GET, request body by default is empty, etc.

Vadim