cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DispatcherServlet
Date Wed, 30 May 2007 15:19:40 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> what's wrong with e.g. servlet:@com.mycompany.block1.servlet:/...?
It's valid - but it looks strange to me; I would expect a user name
after the '@'.

> AFAIU, we have to register our own protocols. For that purpose we have
> to call
> http://javadoc.developintelligence.com/java/net/URL.html#setURLStreamHandlerFactory(java.net.URLStreamHandlerFactory)

> and according to the javadocs it can only be called once per JVM. Is it
> a good idea to rely on having to be the first?
:)

Yes, this is what the docs say - but there are solutions which work even
if you're not first, e.g. equinox is doing this. So it's technically
possible and it makes using custom protocols even easier.
I don't say that we should switch from source resolver to url and change
everything we have; I just want to point out, that we should keep this
in mind when creating urls.

Carsten