cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Custom Cocoon 2.2 projects: Alternatives to Maven 2
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 23:56:12 GMT
toman@ellisdunes.org wrote:
> Ultimately, people want to avoid maven because no one has taken the time
> to sell them on the idea
> that maven is a wicked cool tool, and that investing a small amount of
> time now in learning
> the basics of maven and following its conventions will pay off in a lot
> of time and effort saved later. If you ask people to change the way
> they do things, you have to give them a motivation.

Regardless of whether Cocoon uses maven or not, here is your
motivation.  Lots (but by no means all) of projects and companies are
moving towards standardized builds with Maven. After you learn how maven
works with one project you can pretty much look at any other build and
understand it as most projects have about 90% in common.  This means
that while your ramp-up time on that first project might be a little
long your ramp-up time on subsequent projects will be minimal.  And from
experience I can tell you that that is absolutely true.

Ralph