cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: DispatcherServlet
Date Sat, 19 May 2007 14:50:35 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom pisze:
>> Reinhard Poetz skrev:
>> For the use case we are discussing, the assumption is that the caller
>> of the servlets generator is not connected to all the servlet
>> services. Thus we cannot use the servlet: protocol that by design
>> assumes an explicit named connection.
>
> But we already agreed to implement referencing by block id in servlet:
> source, right?

No, we are still in the phase of finding a good design.

>> So we need a protocol that allows (webapp) global servlet service URIs
>> anyway. And then we could as well make it listable as a source is
>> usable in more contexts than a generator.
>
> I think it's time to support Reinhard :-)
> I agree with his opinion that servlets: source is not needed at the
> moment and generator will be sufficient. I didn't like servlets: source
> from the beginning and that was the reason why I wanted to integrate
> it's planned functionality with servlet: source.
>
> Having a source that is listable only for one URL (servlets:/) is
> awkward idea IMO.

I can agree about that it isn't the neatest design I have seen. But from
an API POV, there is nothing strange with it. A listable Source returns
a list of Sources, there is no restrictions on that the listed Sources
should be of the same type or listable.

/Daniel