cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: More problems with implementing servlet services
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 11:27:41 GMT
Alexander Klimetschek skrev:
> Reinhard Poetz schrieb:
>> I think the problem here is that we have two sources and depending on
>> the context, one is the "main" source. But if it's only me having this
>> view on that, I won't argue for it any more.
>>
>> Any other opinions?
>
> I tend to Reinhard's opinion: from the user POV the src should state the
> service, because that is where I get my data from, ie. the data that is
> used in the subsequent pipeline.

Interesting that there are such differing conceptual views on what the
src attribute in a generator is supposed to do.

So my view (and what I until now thought everyones view) of a generator
is that it is a component that transforms any input to a SAX stream.
More specifically an important sub family of generator reads from an
octet stream that is made available from a Source object that in turn is
pointed to from the src attribute.

The above is AFAICS true for all generators in Cocoon this far. Now for
the servlet service generator the idea is still that it reads it input
from an octet stream made available from a Source object (e.g. a file
source). Then it posts this octet stream to a servlet service which
returns a response stream that is supposed to be in XML format. The
generator in turn parses this XML stream to a SAX stream that is emitted
to the next component in the pipeline.

So what is important here is that it is the file source in the example
above that is input to the generator, not the servlet service. The
servlet service is something that the input generator is redirected to.

In all generators that I am aware of the src attribute is used for
pointing at the Source object that is the *input* of the generator. IMO
it would be highly confusing for the users to switch this to a different
convention for servlet service generators.

So to summarize, a the src attribute should point to the input of the
generator.

/Daniel