cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: More problems with implementing servlet services
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 14:55:59 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
> Notice also streamlined value for the type attribute. Less typing, and
> why would have to highlight that it's a "servlet"? Are there any other
> types of Cocoon services?

I'm glad to see that this stuff already draws your attention but I have to warn you: even
basic implementation of whole infrastructure is
not finished.
Issue COCOON-2050 that is about first prototype is not resolved yet so there might be burden
in naming that demands your comments.

I think that you are right that "servlet" is superfluous.

> It does not seem logical to me -- logically, generator should be posting
> request contents to the service, similar to as serializer writes out
> service response into the response:
>
>   Request      --> Service Generator   --> SAX Pipeline
>   SAX Pipeline --> Service Transformer --> SAX Pipeline
>   SAX Pipeline --> Service Serializer  --> Response
>
> Generator as defined in that linky is (IIUC) equivalent to file
> generator/service transformer pair, and the complete picture is inelegant:
>
>   Src Attribute --> Service Generator   --> SAX Pipeline
>   SAX Pipeline  --> Service Transformer --> SAX Pipeline
>   SAX Pipeline  --> Service Serializer  --> Response

We already have discussed this and COCOON-2050 mentions that in the first implementation there
will be no access to the original request in
called service. We agreed on such architecture:
Src Attribute + Request --> Service Generator   --> SAX Pipeline
SAX Pipeline            --> Service Transformer --> SAX Pipeline
SAX Pipeline            --> Service Serializer  --> Response

Where contents of src will be availabe through "service-consumer:" source (protocol) and original
request will be available as ordinal
request object.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski