cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: More problems with implementing servlet services
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 14:54:22 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> What about reversing the logic: Instead of

>> value="servlet:test2:/extract-html"/>
>>
>> we could use
>>
>> <map:match pattern="test5">
>>   <map:generate type="servletService" src="servlet:test2:/extract-html">
>>     <map:parameter name="data" value="test.html"/>
>>   </map:generate>
>>   <map:serialize type="xml"/>
>> </map:match>
>>
>> It doesn't make that much difference for generators, but would save
>> one line each for serializers and transformers.
>>
>> WDYT?
> It would save a line, but especially for the generator it would obscure
> the function. For all other generators the src parameter is used for
> *reading* stream input. With your proposal the data parameter would
> instead get that role and the src parameter would be used as something
> that is a service that you post something to. I think that would be more
> confusing.
>
> Also for the servlet service transformer and serializer, "src" sound
> like something you read from rather than something you post to.

hmm, the "src" attribute of generators desribes, what is feed into the
component. In the case of a servlet service generator, the output stream of a
servlet is used as stream input.

The "data" parameter defines the content that is passed to the servlet service.
IMO that's not the starting point of the generator.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc