cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: More problems with implementing servlet services
Date Wed, 09 May 2007 22:28:41 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski skrev:
> Lars Trieloff pisze:
>> Hi Grzegorz,
>>
>> do we need all information from the environment? If not, we could add
>> custom X-Cocoon-* Headers that can also be exchanged in more decoupled
>> scenarios where servlet services are actual remote websites.
>
> I have been thinking about remote services too. However, my opinion is
> that we can forget about them discussing this case. For remote sources
> you cannot pass whole Environment (and it's pointless to do because
> Environemnt may refer things VM-specific) and it's good idea to just
> pass needed information as request parameters.
>
> For internal calls, you need to pass session and for example uploaded
> files. I even cannot mention all situation when access to the whole Env
> is required.

While I could imagine that someone would like to make an existing
session based webapp a servlet service I think that we should really
discourage such designs. It will be a nightmare to debug servlet
services that depend on a such a primitive global state as session
attributes.

In general I think that one should strive to build state less servlet
services.

/Daniel