cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <alexander.klimetsc...@mindquarry.com>
Subject Re: Broken caching of servlet: source in some cases
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:41:07 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski schrieb:
>> No, you don't necessarily see the exception, in the end you get an empty
>> response and this gives a new exception, the well-known "Premature end
>> of file". Any exception in the called block must be passed through,
>> otherwise you never see what you were doing wrong in your "backend"
>> sitemap. Had a lot of problems with that when exceptions were swallowed
>> in the first blocks-fw implementation.
>
> I don't agree with this one. AFAIK, in servlet-service-fw implementation exception are
passed back to the calling sitemap. It was you who
> provided a patch: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1954 :-)

Yes, but the exception gets lost in isValid() and in my case it is not
re-generated or something, the result is just an empty response.

I have seen you tried to fix the getValidity() method like this:

  	public SourceValidity getValidity() {
-		return this.validity;
+		try {
+			connect();
+		} catch (Exception e) {
+			if (logger.isDebugEnabled())
+				logger.debug("Exception occured while making servlet request", e);
+			return null;
+		}
+		return servletConnection.getLastModified() > 0 ? this.validity : null;
  	}

This cannot work, since you cannot call connect() before you have the value
for If-Modified-Since which is only available in isValid(SourceValidity)
when both validities are available! I was first thinking about the same
solution but then understood why your original code with the connect inside
isValid is right!

Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek