cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans <jheym...@apache.org>
Subject Re: building trunk.
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:14:21 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

>> I noticed that our own blocks are in the dependencymanagement as well.
>> Is this intended ?
>
> This way blocks don't have to specify versions when refering other blocks. Isn't that
the way to go?

I think so yes, just wasn't sure. There are 2 sides to the story IMO. As
you say its convenient for us because we have a default centralized
internal versioning scheme for our modules. However our 'customers' will
also end up with these versions, unless they ofcourse override in their
own pom (right Ralph ?).

I'm just thinking if the customer could introduce incompatibilities
between blocks by overriding certain block versions and relying on the
transitivity of others ?

Example:

<root depMgmt>
    core-1.0
    blockA-1.2
    blockB-0.4
</root depMgmt>

now our customer does in his pom

<dependencies>
    blockA-1.4 (which transitively pulls in core-1.2)
    blockB (no version so he will get 0.4)
</dependencies>

If above scenario is correct and core-1.2 and blockB-0.4 are
incompatible the he's in trouble and will have to explicitly introduce
the new version of blockB. Or am i seeing ghosts ?

Regards
Jorg