cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Savory <and...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Archetypes, blocks, webapps ...
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:38:21 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm trying to understand the difference between the two archetypes,
cocoon-22-archetype-webapp and cocoon-22-archetype-block.

 From the names, I'd guess cocoon-22-archetype-webapp is where I
should start if I want to build a simple c2.2-based site with
sitemaps, xml, xslt and so on. I'd assume cocoon-22-archetype-block
is where I should start if I want to create some custom code, to be
used within my webapp.

... but if I create a simple cocoon-22-archetype-webapp application,
I can't run it - which is what I somehow "expect" coming from c2.1.
There's no sitemap, and on jetty startup there's errors like "Could
not instantiate listener
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener". Only the
block archetype contains the necessary stuff to run - and so I have
to create a block as well.

This seems a little confusing. There's quite a difference between
what cocoon-22-archetype-webapp creates and what is in core/cocoon-
webapp. Are we expecting our users to do more work, or should we
extend the webapp archetype? Or do we need a short document on what
"new" cocoon web apps look like? (In which case, if you explain it,
I'll write it!)

Thanks,

Andrew.
--
Andrew Savory, Managing Director, Sourcesense UK
Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135