cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exclusions does not work with dependency managment?
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:43:08 GMT
Jorg Heymans napisaƂ(a):
> Neither dependency:resolve nor dependency:analyze list
> avalon-framework:avalon-framework as an included dependency (I
> executed the plugin from the block directory). Are you sure it comes
> from that block ?

I also tried dependency plug-in already and had the same results as you.
It does not mention dependency we are talking about. I have no idea why.
However, I'm almost sure. Try mvn eclipse:eclipse and import project.
You'll see avalon-framework-4.1.3.jar in build path added so it does
come from that module, doesn't it? Also, you'll see it while executing:
mvn install -X

Can you verify my findings?

> I've had some good luck using the dependency plugin [1] to hunt down
> stray dependencies. It doesn't show you the complete dependency graph
> but is nevertheless quite helpful in debugging module dependencies.
> (The fact that maven even needs a tool like this shows you what a
> complex beast the transitive dependency feature has become, but that's
> a different story alltogether)

Transitive dependencies seem to be complicated because they demand
understanding of whole picture, often affected by other projects. The
situation would be much better if Maven was informative enough and had
consistent strategy of traversing graph assured by set of quality tests.
Partly, it lacks both and that's where the pain comes from. Dependency
is step in right direction, though.

Thanks.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski