cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Broken caching of servlet: source in some cases
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:29:39 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski skrev:
> Alexander Klimetschek pisze:
>> Grzegorz Kossakowski schrieb:
>>> Huh, you are really good at catching bugs :-)
>>
>> Well, it's actually the fault of our sitemaps ;-)
>>
>>> Naming follows URLConnection. See [1] for explanation. I think that
>>> it is an implementation detail what connect() does in a fact and
>>> other classes should not bother.
>>
>> Yes, I know, but ServletConnection no longer extends URLConnection
>> and I don't know see any need for implementing it. It's only used by
>> the ServletSource.
>
> AFAIK, it's a goal to provide meaningful implementation of
> URLConnection thus extending it.
> ServletConnection has no dependencies on Cocoon and can be used in
> your own servlets that you want to plug to the system.
> That's why ServletConnection is in impl module and ServletConnection
> is in components module.
It was an implementation of URLConnection once when the blocks fw was
based on OSGi. In OSGi you can add own URL services. Without the OSGi
URL magic it is hard to extend the URLConnection so I turned the
extension off.

There is not that much reason to mimic the URLConnection API as long as
one don't actually use it, so the API could of course be modified if
there is a gain in doing it.

/Daniel