cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Broken caching of servlet: source in some cases
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:46:45 GMT
Alexander Klimetschek pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski schrieb:
>> Huh, you are really good at catching bugs :-)
>
> Well, it's actually the fault of our sitemaps ;-)
>
>> Naming follows URLConnection. See [1] for explanation. I think that it
>> is an implementation detail what connect() does in a fact and other
>> classes should not bother.
>
> Yes, I know, but ServletConnection no longer extends URLConnection and I
> don't know see any need for implementing it. It's only used by the
> ServletSource.

AFAIK, it's a goal to provide meaningful implementation of URLConnection thus extending it.
ServletConnection has no dependencies on Cocoon and can be used in your own servlets that
you want to plug to the system.
That's why ServletConnection is in impl module and ServletConnection is in components module.

>> Ahhh, aggregation! I've not thought about it while implementing caching.
>> Basically, I agree on your proposed change and will do it. However,
>> concern comes to my mind instantly:
>> Why sources are not cached at all?!
>> It seems that only whole pipelines (in "caching" implementation) or
>> pipelines fragments (in "caching-point" implementation) are cached and
>> never data from sources itself.
>
> I think the wrong caching came from the problem with the too-early call
> of getLastModified() by ResourceReader, thus it was a mixture of bugs
> that helped spotting this one.

I see.
Now, have you tested latest changes? Does it work for you, finally?

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski