cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: environment.setStatus() in AbstractProcessingPipeline
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:01:11 GMT
Reinhard Poetz napisaƂ(a):
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>
> Anyway, you said "some cases". Could you be more specific and give an
> example?

You reverted only changes in AbstractPorcessingPipeline, but I guess you would like to do
it also for AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.
Now, status code is set in various places in pipeline code and given that components are given
whole environment, they can modify it too
(which in my opinion is bad). Now, "some cases" refers to the situation that we processed
whole pipeline and no status code was set thus
servlet: source does not know if the cache entry is still valid or not.
So actually I meant that it will break always if the status code is undefined, but there are
so many places where it can be set so it might
fail only in "some cases".

Ok, my description is vague because we are really out of control of the status code, today.
Every component can set it, every component can
override it so it's not that unlikely that two unrelated pieces of code can step on each other...

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski