cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.2 failing to build: cocoon-javaflow
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:25:30 GMT
Andrew Savory napisaƂ(a):
> Hi,
>

> Eeeeh, I hope not! I'd worry about the health of the overall codebase if
> no-one else is building allblocks! Is this why continuum is not failing
> when it should be?

My opinion is that we should view situation with blocks in more "blockish" way. Blocks in
C2.2 are supposed to be quite independent. They
can (and should) have its own release cycles, stability factor and interest of community.

Blocks that are outside the default build are those with probably lesser interest of community
at the moment. They might be also some
problems with dependencies but those are only *temporary* obstacles. Of course, if someone
puts the effort to make a block up-to-date with
the rest (so it does not break the build) and *some* other folks will agree that are going
to support the block, it can be included in
default build. This marks block as hmmm... core? Let it be core :-)

Now situation should be that it's whole community's responsibility to support these core blocks.
Other blocks could be supported by some
folks interested in doing that, but community should not be forced to do that. And we should
really state which blocks are core, which are
stable and which are just orphan. Orphan indicates that the block lacks enough interest.

As far as I remember, similar ideas arisen many times before but what outlined above is *my
opinion*.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski