cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.2 failing to build: cocoon-javaflow
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:05:51 GMT
Andrew Savory wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to do a clean build of C2.2 I'm seeing errors building
> cocoon-javaflow because of a missing
> org.apache.commons:commons-jci-core:jar:1.0-RC1.
>
> jci-core 1.0-SNAPSHOT seems to be commented out of cocoon-core. The
> below fixes it and allows c2.2 to build, but as I don't know what it
> does I'm reluctant to just commit. Can anyone comment?

commons-jci-core is needed at two places in our codebase:
  1) the javaflow block
  2) the reloading classloader integration

The reloading-classlaoder integration works and I was able to make it orthogonal
to the rest of Cocoon. Hence we don't need any dependency in cocoon-core to it.

An exception would be if we wanted to reactivate the reloading per-sitemap
classloader but I don't think it is a good idea to have too many places where we
manipulate classloaders. It can cause a lot of headache to find out where you
got a class from.
Additionally we have shielding servlet services which change the classloader
too. I try to sum up the current situation later this week but basically I want
to see any solution that manipulates the classloader remaining completly
separate from our core modules.

In short, add the commons-jci dependency to the javaflow block only. I don't
know if the javaflow-interpreter works then (I guess not) but at least it should
fix your build problems.

> Also, I'm slightly mystified that I seem to be the only one hitting
> this. Is no-one else building 2.2?

I guess that others who are building 2.2 got the dependency added to the local
repos because of building the reloading classloader plugin
(trunk/tools/cocoon-rcl) but this is really strange because cocoon-rcl hasn't
been added to the default build AFAIK.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc