cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Servlets, Sitemaps, and Spring in trunk
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 16:05:28 GMT
Max Pfingsthorn wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been looking at trunk to find out how things work these days and
> it looks great, but I am a bit confused. It seems like the blocks can
> register their own servlet to handle requests, is that true?

yes There is
> a suspicious xml file in META-INF/cocoon/spring in each sample. But
> how does spring, or is it avalon, know that this servlet should be
> used at all? Through DispatcherServlet?

The DispatcherServlets scans the Spring application context for all beans that
are of type "Servlet" and looks for a proropety "path". If both conditions are
fulfilled, the servlet is registered.

> It doesn't seem to work right
> now though, at least not if I use the cocoon-webapp.

IIRC the Cocoon webapp hasn't been moved to use the servlet-service framework
completly.

> Is there an easy
> way to make it work? I'm trying to do some json stuff, so a "detour"
> through cocoon would not be so great.

Do you want to provide your own servlet service that doesn't use Cocoon
sitemaps? Have a look at the servlet-service-sample module which already
contains a sample that uses a "non-sitemap" servlet.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc