cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <>
Subject Re: [2.2] Logging
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 15:37:12 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>> the only thing which is 'broken' compared with 2.1 is logging.

(I meant logkit -> log4j, as well as lost URI and other information which makes
it really hard to read log files)

> ... which forces the user to recompile.

Is it so? I think I missed this 'breakage'. Why recompile is needed?

> Do we want or do we have to
> accept this?  Although the change is a very simple one, it would be
> better to have a deprecation period to give our users some more time.
> Is there any chance to make the Spring beanfactory acknowledging the
> LoggingEnabled interface?
> Second question: Do we consider component implementations (EHCacheStore,
> CachingImpl, etc.) being public API or their interfaces only?

IMHO only interfaces are public API, and implementations are "API for
developers" -- i.e., sometimes you'd have to change your implementation if you
extend Cocoon's.

It's not realistic for us to maintain backward compatibility for each component
implementation, but OTOH we should not introduce incompatible changes without
good reason. For example, I remember people relying on I18nTransformer (and/or
SQLTransformer?) implementation, on its protected members/methods. I'm sure
there are other examples.

View raw message