cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [result][vote] Move CachingSource to cocoon-core
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:02:11 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

>> Because of dependencies on the event-cache block, the caching source
>> was added to the repository block when it moved out from scratchpad.
>> After some refactorings I should be able now to move it to cocoon-core
>> without having to add any new depenendencies there.
>>
>> As a caching source is of general interest for many of our users (see
>> several requests on the users list) I want to propose to move it to
>> cocoon-core.
>
> The proposal has been accepted. It got 7 binding +1 votes and no -1. I
> will move  the CachingSource to core as soon as time permits.

Done. I also removed all depenencies on Avalon. The CachingSourceFactory can be
configured as Spring bean now. I added two default configurations "cached" and
"async-cached" which both inherit from the abstract configuration
"org.apache.excalibur.source.SourceFactory/cached::abstract" which is also a
good starting point for custom configurations (e.g. you want to switch the used
cache or the validity strategy).

The tests run through but I don't know what the coverage is. I guess not to
high. Unfortunatly it isn't particularily easy to write tests for the async
mode. Since I need the CachingSource in my own apps very soon, I will hopefully
find any problems caused by my refactorings very soon.

                                   - o -

The only behavioural change that I'm aware of was, that I had to remove the
possibility of inline configurations of the source refresher. The problem is
that Spring doesn't make free-style configurations as simple as Avalon does.
Altough it would be possible to mimick it, it is too much work for something
that can be done using a configuration file IMO.

                                   - o -

There were two reasons why the CachingSourceFactory wasn't already in
cocoon-core: First, it supports InspectableSources and second, it supports
EventAwareCaches.

If you want to use InspectableSources, you can use the
InspectableSourcesAwareCachingSourceFactory* from the repository block.

If you want to use an EventAwareCache you can configure the caching source using
the EventAwareCachingSourceValidityStrategy in combination with a cache that
implements EventAware. The strategy can be found in the event-cache block.

* cool name, isn't it? I know that we can do as good as Spring in inventing
loooong class names ;-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc