cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: XHTML Serializer block/Ajax: Bug
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:20:52 GMT
Pier Fumagalli <pier <at> betaversion.org> writes:

> > But why not staying with HTML then??? Why is the XHTMLSerializer be used
> > in those cases? IMO we should NOT implement any special case handling in
> > XHTMLSerializer but tell the people to use the HTMLSerializer.
>
> As the original author of the code, if you don't want to implement
> quirks, then, what's the difference between the "XHTML" serializer and
> the "XML" serializer?

That's exactly what Grek put into question [1]. But I think it's ok to do some
of the specific stuff [2].

> If you don't need quirks, you don't need to support browsers, then
> simply use the XMLSerializer and forget about it, the XHTML and HTML
> do exactly this job of supporting as many browsers as possible, no?

I gave my reasoning at [3]: You address quirks in the XHTMLSerializer which
you'd not need if you were not using it. Furthermore you introduce further
problems by forcing the browser into the quirks mode as it can't understand
XHTML anyway. Delivering standard conform HTML is much more appropriate for
those browsers.

Joerg

[1] http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=117407836212241&w=4
[2] http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=117408459418886&w=4