cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Hunsberger" <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Block conventions
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:49:47 GMT
On 3/14/07, Grzegorz Kossakowski <grek@tuffmail.com> wrote:

> I think that following "convention over configuration" here is really good idea and most
users will take this advice. It
> help newcomers to focus on actual work, and it will help block's ecosystem because standardized
URI spaces facilitate
> block's cooperation.
>
> Comments? Thoughts? Anyone objecting?

Almost makes sense at a theoretical level, but I don't think it's
practical. Theres ths eimple concerns:  what does someone who is
already using Cocoon do when they want to migrate to 2.2 and their
existing URI space doesn't match up?  Do we force them to change their
URI space?  What if someone is integrating with a CMS or some other
system that has other URI requirements?

However, more importantly, with blocks you want to have the equivalent
of name spaces for the blocks: plug in some component and have it
handle the resources in it's URI space without conflicting with the
URI space for some other block (eg. two blocks migh each have a
"main.js" or some such thing), so for this to work you'd need to
either prefix or suffix the URI space for each block with some unique
block identifier which sort of defeats the point of doing this in the
first place or am I missing something?

We may be able to support a default convention, but I think you're
going to always need configuration for a URI space...

--
Peter Hunsberger