cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help with review
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:18:25 GMT
Reinhard Poetz napisaƂ(a):
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've put the proposal I'm willing to apply to Google here:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2007/cocoon-expression
>>
>> I'd would be grateful for any review, comments and even edits fixing
>> language mistakes. I'm sorry it took so long, I had some personal
>> affairs to settle.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> I take this as your 'deliverables', right?
>
> 1. revise EL handling implemented in Cocoon's template block and find
> out if
>    improvements are needed
> 2. get rid of Avalon dependencies in EL and OM handling code
> 3. provide consistent, complete object model for expressions
> everywhere they are
>    used
> 4. implement converter concept and provide basic converters'
> implementations
> 5. refactor at least portion of Cocoon samples so they use new ELs
>    implementation
> 6. document new architecture, create migration guides and promote the
> use of new
>    implementation across the community

Hmm, I think that I do not understand exact meaning of 'deliverables'.
In abstract I should provide overview on my main goals right? What
should be putted in 'deliverables' section? More detailed,
project-specific info on what kind of contributions I plan to add?
Something like:
* new module cocoon-expression-api
  * ELs and OM API (already exists but must be moved from template block)
  * converters API
* new module cocoon-expression-impl
  * implementation for expression langauges for JS, JXPath, JEXL (most
code already exist but needs clean up), possibly XReporter would be
implemented if time permits
  * implementation of automatic, context-aware Object Model creation
  * default converters, basically the same as in
org.apache.cocoon.forms.datatype.convertor package
* refactored samples
  * cocoon-ajax-sample
  * cocoon-forms-sample
  * cocoon-core-additional-sample
  * possibly new module cocoon-expression-sample with stuff focused only
on ELs
* documentation in Daisy
  * design documents
  * tutorials on explaining how to create own EL or converter
implementation and how to extend OM
  * migration guide
* evangelism and fuzz on mailing lists

My impression was that I do not have to provide every small detail and
address all doubts. If so, I would like to make use of this right when
it comes to converter concept. This is one is little bit fuzzy now and I
would have to ask Daniel more questions about it. Can we leave
converters scope little unspecified?

> Some comments:
>
> In general: Could you please also add some timeline when you want to
> finish what? See the project proposals of previos GSoC students to
> find out what I mean.
>
> In particular:
>
> 1. When do you think will you be finished with it? Make it a milestone in
>    your project timeline.
> 2. ok
> 3. see 1.
> 4. What basic converters do you want to implement?
> 5. Which samples do you want to improve?
> 6. ok (as long as you do it in Daisy ;-)
>
> Thanks for your proposal. I really like that you will provide weekly
> reports which will make it easy for others to follow your work.

Ok, I'll add the timeline. One more issue: as most students in most
countries, I'm going to have exam session in mid of June. It means that
on the beginning of GSoC I'll not able to devote myself fully, I'd say
that my activity will be narrowed only to discussion and research. Is it
a serious obstacle?

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski