cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Unified expression handling and unified object model
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 02:24:53 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> I think that I could take converters into account but would like to hear
>> your opinion what are the limits of flexibility they should give.
>
> They should IMO only be String -> String. I think the selectors would be
> nice for handling L10N with a minimum of expression writing.

How that would work though?

Everywhere I see there is a need for [Date, Number, ...] <--> [String]
converters. CForms needs String to Object converters to convert input string to
data object. CForms needs Object to String converter to format object into
string representation. Same story for Templates - need to convert objects from
OM to textual representation. Expressions - also need both types of converters.

Even if you want to change format of date string, there are two steps -- parsing
original string (with specified format) and formatting date object back to
string (with another specified format).

Vadim