cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Modernizing CForms
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:27:02 GMT
Sylvain Wallez napisaƂ(a):
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>
> The "IE gives me shudders" feeling is partly one of the reasons for Ajax
> toolkits to exist. This unfortunately doesn't solve everything, but
> helps a lot!

This only partly address my doubts. I really ask about the prospects for
AJAX. If I'm going to invest my time in learning AJAX toolkits I would
like to be sure that they are capable to do much more than flashy
examples. What's questionable for me if AJAX can become _platform_ for
building Rich Client Applications as we already would like to use it for
building such.
I agree that REST is great because it's more standard way of doing
things (HTTP-compliant) and in theory would both reduce server's load
and improve user's experience. I also can see that this reduces a
complexity a little bit because it's more client-server architecture and
no viewer-(server+view producer) as it's now. However, what I'm trying
to say is that reduced complexity on server's side does not only come
from building REST-style applications but also from moving some
significant part of whole complexity from the server to client. Now it
becomes clear that we need tools and execution platform on the client side.
What we have now is only bunch of quite compatible and
standard-compliant browser's and IE. There are toolkits that try to
improve the situation but they still need to be run on IE and I fear
that we are going to hit their limits in near future. I would like to
see strong arguments that my doubts are just unjustified...

Said that, I would like to stress that I do not stop anyone from taking
this approach and even I would be happy to help make Forms more
REST-like. What I wouldn't like to see is a Forms client app that we are
going to support. Haunting for IE bugs is not fun for me and I think we
could hardly find folks that I are enthusiastic about it either.

>> Maybe I'm just ignorant but... is there any multi threading capability
>> on browser side? Is it only me experiencing Firefox freezing while dojo
>> toolkit is being loaded?
>>

> No, JavaScript is not multi-threaded, and although there are discussions
> IIRC to introduce it in JavaScript 2.0, we won't be able to rely on it
> on our browsers for many years.

I'm really sad and even more doubtful hearing that :/

> The freezing you experience is that because you're using an uncompressed
> Dojo, and every dojo.require() potentially does a _synchronous_
> XmlHttpRequest, hence freezing the browser. The solution, that has to be
> used for any production deployment, is to use Dojo's compressor to group
> all JS files used by an application into a single compressed one. No
> more freezing in that case.

I recall some discussion about it in the past. Does it mean that even we
integrate Dojo into cocoon-forms very nicely user will be forced to
break all the modularity and use the compressor? Am I missing something?

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski