cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:56:49 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom napisaƂ(a):
> Grzegorz Kossakowski skrev:
>
> I don't think that you have misunderstood the "refactoring" word. I
> wanted to point out that I think that refactoring where the only goal
> is to clean up the design is a complicated business. The concept of a
> "cleaner design" is rather vague.
>
> I mean: How do you evaluate that the new design is cleaner? When is it
> clean enough? Why should it be cleaner? How do you keep your
> motivation when the works get tough?
>
> In my experience it is much better to a refactoring with the explicit
> goal of making it possible (or easier) to implement this or that
> particular new functionality.
>
> By doing that it will be much easier to find an answer of the above
> questions. You know that the refactoring leads to a "better" design if
> it allows both for the current tasks and the new one.

Ah, thanks for reminder! :)

Almost forgotten why people refactor the code: to enable it to handle
new functionality. Given that, I'm going to collect all the painful
situations with existing implementation of pipelines and describe them
eventually. Then it should be quite obvious what's need to be done to
improve the situation. Also when most of the pain is gone we can be sure
that at the time we are done.

And yes, making code capable of new functionality is all the fun about
refactoring...

Thanks again!

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski