cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <>
Subject Re: GSoC
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:46:06 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to ask you about my possible participation in GSoC and having Cocoon as
a project of choice, of course. Do
> you think it's good idea in general?
> I also wonder why only Reinhard offered mentoring this year. Are others so busy or missed
the chance to add themselves?
> Now to discuss some details of my possible work. I'm going to discuss/question shortly
almost all the options.
> * Rework our samples in trunk so that they use the servlet-service framework
> As you probably guess this one is my favorite. Given that I have some knowledge about
servlet-service-fw I wonder if
> it's not too simple task for 2 months period? Maybe you could soak little bit more from
me?  ;-)

The ideas come from me so far and this one would be definitly to easy for _you_.
Since I will mentor a students' project in Vienna this summer and my students
most probably don't have any experiences with Cocoon, I will propose to them a
rework and redesign of our samples.

> * Attribute-based templates (extend cocoon-template for this purpose)
> I recall some discussions on this topic but cannot now find exact archives. Could someone
provide little introduction in
> this topic? Why it's needed? What features it's going to have that our Template block
does not have?

see, the section about Attribute Driven
Templating (ADT)

But this requires either Leszek or Daniel as mentor. I definitly don't have an
in-depth understanding of it.

> * Documentation of our blocks (+ sitemap component documentation)
> I think this one is important but cannot be project idea for GSoC:

but would be perfect for the OSC project in Vienna :-)

> * use Dojo throughout in cForms
> What does this mean exactly?

AFAICS we still include the "matt-kruse" libs and htmlarea. The latter should
become optional and there should be an additional implementation of WYSIWIG
input fields using Dojo functionality. The matt-kruse libs are used for some
advanced widgets.

If you are interested in working on cForms, "use Dojo throughout in cForms" will
probably only be one part of a project IMO. I would also like to see some more

  - Springifying cForms
  - support a simple styling that works *without* Javascript
  - make cForms work with Saxon

and some more ideas that could go into a cForms proposal:
  - make Forms objects serializable
  - replace xreporter expressions using some other expression library

Sidenote: All those steps go towards cForms 2.0 as I'm not sure whether we can
implement everything in a backwards compatible way.

> Given that you have some idea of my skills and Cocoon knowledge I would like to ask if
you possibly have some other
> ideas that I could bring into the code?

As I said before, if there are students here in Vienna who want to work on
Cocoon, I want to propose to them a refactoring of our samples and writing
Aside from being feasible for beginners, this is a task that can be split into
smaller sub-tasks much easier than e.g. implementing ADT. Opposed to GSoC, there
will be mixed teams of 4 to 6 students (e.g. 3 programmers + 2 designers) at the
Vienna students' projects.

                                   - o -

And finally some more project ideas:

  a) cleanup input modules: IIRC there was some discussion about
     reducing the number of input modules in favor of one that uses an expression
     language that works on a well-defined object model.

  b) cleanup expression language usage throughout Cocoon
     Daniel, do you have any pointers?

  c) provide an alternative continuations manager that can work with
     distributed caches

  d) refactor <map:call function=""/> and <map:flow>
     * make it possible to support more than one flow language per sitemap
     * find some better naming than "function" because it feels strange to
       call e.g. an Apple or a JavaFlow

  e) Cocon Javaflow 1.0 + integration with the reloading classloader stuff:
     --> whatever needs to be done to get it stable ;-)

I think that (a + b) or (c + d + e) could be interesting projects.

                                   - o -

Grek, my personal preference for your GSoC project goes towards the c+d+e
project. This needs some involvement by Torsten and, highly recommended, him as
mentor but I don't know whether he wants to take mentorship again.
*My* second choice is the cForms refactorings. Of course you are free to suggest
to us whatever you like :-)

Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC:

View raw message