cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Block conventions
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:54:41 GMT
Felix Knecht napisaƂ(a):

> > I think that following "convention over configuration" here is
> > really good idea and most users will take this advice. It help
> > newcomers to focus on actual work, and it will help block's
> > ecosystem because standardized URI spaces facilitate block's
> > cooperation.
>
> I don't see such a big benefit. E.g. If a user has an application
> using some forms he still needs to take care in the sitemap which
> matchers shall be exposed externally and which not (think e.g. about a
> multi-page formular and you only want to expose the starting page).
I agree that my proposal does not cover such case you have given as an
example. The point is that it shouldn't. I think that most blocks that
user is going to create will expose some resources and/or services to
the outside world and I think all blocks should do this in similar way.

When you create block's specific functionality (forms, pages) it's
obvious that you have to create block's specific pipelines. I do not
call this into question. My proposal is only skeleton (archetype) for
further tweaking (extending, stripping).
> IMO it will be more confusing (and therefore it may by dangerous)
> having some resources exposed/not exposed by default.The developer
> must decide anyway how the pipeline shall be (internal/external). It's
> not only a design but also a question of security.
Actually, until you put something in resource/external directory nothing
is really exposed. By default you have only provided a directory
structure which can be filled according to your needs. I don't see this
confusing as I cannot think about something more obvious than that
resources under "resource/external"are accessible externally.

To provide an example, I'm refactoring now Ajax and Forms blocks. They
both have some resources that should be exposed to the browser (css and
js files) and they both would be exposing some services. I'm going also
to make as a service samples styling so cocoon-samples-style is going to
expose some css files and actual service. I can give you more examples
if you need...

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski