cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reloading the mountableServlets map in DispatcherServlet
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:53:05 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz napisał(a):
>>> There is a startup time stamp in the Spring application context
>>> http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.0.x/api/org/springframework/context/ApplicationContext.html#getStartupDate()
>>> maybe you can use that.
>> The simplest solution that I could think of is adding a check whether
>> the system runs in dev mode. If true, the code, that collects
>> information about all available servlet services, is executed every
>> time when the service() method is called. As this doesn't seem to be
>> expensive I think it's at least not the worst option.
>>
>> thanks, I've introduced a check and committed the change. The RCL
>> stuff now works for me :-)
>>
> I'm not up-to-date with RCL stuff so I'm going to ask little ignorant
> question. What exactly have you fixed and how it makes development
> easier?

You can develop your C22 application (incl. Java sources!) without any restarts.
The problem till yesterday was that the reload of the Spring application context
didn't work. Although the classes where reloaded in the classloader correctly,
Spring used the initial application context which was created at the servlet
container startup.

> I'm curious especially about reloading classes without running
> Cocoon inside the IDE, does it work now?

yes, it works now. The normal "hot code replace" of your IDE is only able to
change code of already existing methods. In contraxt, the commons-jci reloading
classloader that I use allows every possible change: deleting classes/methods,
removing classes/methods, creating new classes/methdos.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc