cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <>
Subject Re: Maven dependency resolution (Re: svn commit: r517439 - /cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-servlet-service/cocoon-servlet-service-impl/pom.xml)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:01:19 GMT
Ralph Goers napisaƂ(a):
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>>> Although this feature is helpful while updating dependencies (you
>>> have to do it in one place), I hardly see how this
>>> relates to the situation I've described. In my case, problem was
>>> caused not by dependency to the wrong (old) version but
>>> by the lack of any dependency at all! dependencyManagement section
>>> will not help us in this scenario, doesn't it?
> Well, yes. If you never declare a dependency when there really is one
> then you will have problems. I would presume they would be very
> noticeable in most cases as they would result in ClassNotFoundExceptions
> to occur in most cases.

I would suggest to read my mail once again. The problem is that ClassNotFoundException will
not be thrown.
Let's assume me have A, B, C:
A depends on B and dependency is declared in A's pom
B depends on C and dependency is declared in B's pom
A depends on C but dependency is not declared in A's pom

Now A's dependency on C will be satisfied by transitive dependency. However, transitive dependencies
are really
vulnerable to the ambiguity of dependency mediation. My main point was that we should avoid
satisfying dependencies by
transitive dependencies. Given that, we should find a way to find out that we really rely
on transitive dependencies.

Grzegorz Kossakowski

View raw message